Havy Tran DESMA 9 - Week 1 Blog #1

     In C.P. Snow's Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution, Snow establishes ideas of there being two cultures that are divided into literary intellectuals (the arts) or physical/natural scientists (science).  Continually, Snow argues that experts in both areas of science and the arts should build bridges in order to advance human knowledge to provide advantages to society. In daily life, we tend to veer towards people who most similar to us, whether this is based on our age group, our values and morals, or even what we study in school. At UCLA, we can see this division through our majors. On campus, your declared major either resides in the north or south part of campus. As a result of this grouping, students tend to create more connections with others who are also in the same respective departments.

Ucla map - Ucla campus map (California - USA)

map of UCLA North and South campus. https://maps-los-angeles.com/maps-los-angeles-others/ucla-map

    Personally, my major at UCLA is psychology. The prerequisites for pre-psychology allow me to see many of the same people in my classes as a result of us having to take these required courses. Of course we may not take the same classes every quarter, but when I see someone I recognize from a previous class together, I begin to distinguish them out of the large number of students at UCLA. The perspective of there being two cultures divided does not affect my thinking because I have already began to notice that I will most likely be grouped with the same people in my classes and my department. In fact, during my freshman orientation, the different groups were separated by majors. My orientation group was full of psychology majors and I have even had some classes with a few of those individuals so far. I believe this is a benefit to me because if I ever need guidance in what classes I should take as a psychology major, I can ask these people who are in the same boat as me and even create connections along the way.


UCLA Pre-Psychology Major Requirements for Incoming Freshman.

Resources:

1. Science and the Humanities: Still "Two Cultures"? https://youtu.be/YX7csqVBzQE 

In this video, novelist Ian McEwan shares his point of view on whether he believes that the liberal arts and humanities and the sciences are further apart or closer together since C.P. Snow had written his book.

2. The Two Cultures by C.P. Snow - Summary https://youtu.be/ZRYHARMAMRI

Here is a short summary of the text that helped me understand the two cultures further.

3. Snow, C. P. (Charles Percy), 1905-1980. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York :Cambridge University Press, 1959. Accessed 7th April 2023.

4. UCLA Pre-Psychology Major Requirements for Incoming Freshman.

https://www.psych.ucla.edu/undergraduate/undergraduate-student-services/majors-minors/psychology-major-for-students-who-entered-ucla-as-freshmen/

5. map of UCLA North and South campus. 

https://maps-los-angeles.com/maps-los-angeles-others/ucla-map


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Havy Tran - DESMA 9 Week 2 Blog #2

Havy Tran - DESMA 9 Week 3 Blog #3